Welcome to our website.
Village of Loving—is located 12 miles southeast of
Carlsbad. The village was first settled
by a group of 54 Swiss settlers
who arrived in November 1891. They named their
(pronounced Voe) for their canton in Switzerland. It became a
Office on May 29, 1893. The Swiss invested substantial amount of money on
farm acreage within a four mile radius of Vaud. They lost all their crops in
the dams of the Pecos Irrigation Company washed out in a
devastating flood. With
the flood and the Panic of 1893-94 many of the
Swiss relocated elsewhere.
In 1894, because of the confusion between
the name of Vaud and Vaughn, postal authorities convinced residents to change
the village’s name, it was changed to Florence.
It is believed that the
name Florence was in recognition of the 65 settlers who migrated from Italy
after the Swiss settlers had left. It is also believed that it was named
Florence in honor of Oliver Loving’s daughter.
On June 1, 1908, once
again the village’s name changed to Loving, honoring Oliver Loving, a Texas
cowman and trail driver.
January 18, 1945 an election was held and
the Village of Loving became incorporated.
Today the population of the
Village of Loving is approximately 1,326 and the village has a total area of 1.1
square miles of land.
415 W. Cedar
P.O. Box 56
Loving, New Mexico
Office Hours: M-F
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.